Visiting the Collection
The Long Island Collection is open to the public for Long Island research. The staff of the collection is happy to provide research assistance. When visiting the Long Island Collection, please observe the following policies:
- All requests must be made from the online catalog or card catalog. Patrons are also free to ask staff for recommendations.
- There is no browsing within the collection. Please ask staff for assistance.
- All writing and note taking must be made in pencil (so as not to permanently mark and/or damage materials). Pencils are provided.
- Photography is prohibited.
- All photocopying and scanning is done by the collection staff at .20 cents per page.
- Food and drink are prohibited.
When visiting the collection you may request to view items:
- Please fill out a patron inquiry form.
- Request materials by using the card catalog. The card catalog is divided by Author and Persons in the Yellow Section, and Title and General Subject in the White Section. The online version differs somewhat from the card catalog in the collection.
- Please write the call number (found on the upper left section of the card) and the title in the appropriate column and give to a L.I.C. staff person. Call numbers are not advertised in the online catalog. In this case, please make note of the title for staff to locate.
Requests can also be made by mail or e-mail.
- Please include your full name, mailing address, phone number, and fax number if you have one.
- If appropriate, may we send you photocopies? Copies are $.20 per page or side plus the cost of shipping and handling.
- Please allow time for your request to be processed.
- Due to the amount of time involved in providing research assistance, and in respect for those whose appointment time may be infringed upon, the staff of the Long Island Collection respectfully requests that all communications be made by telephone, regular mail or e-mail.
- Email request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Long Island Collection Hours:
Monday-Tuesday & Thursday-Saturday: 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Other hours by appointment only.
Please call to schedule appointments at least 24 hours in advance.